Introduction: “The prayer of a believer in time of deep distress. In the first part, cries for help are mingled with expressions of confidence. Then the detail of griefs engrosses his attention, till, in the assurance of strong but submissive faith, he rises to the language of unmingled joyful trust and exhorts others to like love and confidence towards God” (Jamieson, Fausset, Brown Commentary).
1. David acknowledges his trust in God in the midst of trails:
2. David’s prayers are based upon a clear knowledge of God.
Verse Prayer God’s character
3. David praises God for mercy and then asks for mercy before he enumerates his present circumstances to God in detail (7-13).
4. David expresses exuberant praise & confidence in God (19-22).
5. David closes with a challenge to others based upon his knowledge of God that was gained through his own personal relationship with Him (23-24)