Introduction: “It is said of Luther that, when he heard any discouraging news, he would say, Come let us sing the forty-sixth psalm” (Mathew Henry). Spurgeon called it “The Song of Holy Confidence.”
1. What can we learn about God’s relationship to us?
a. He is our refuge (vs. 1, 7, 11)
b. He is our strength (vs. 1 cf. 6, 8-9)
c. He is a present help in trouble (vs. 1, cf. 2-3).
– Great calamities pictured – vs.2-3
– God’s presence illustrated – vs. 4-5
– God’s presence predicted – vs. 7 & 11
d. He is to be exalted in the earth (vs. 10).
2. What can we learn about our relationship to God?
a. We should not fear (vs. 1-2).
b. We should see God’s works (vs.8).
c. We should be still (vs.10).
d. We can know God (vs.10).